Sunday, March 06, 2005

Souvlaki

My plan to review restaurants has been stymied by my habit of eating at only a few places. On Friday I was back at Greek Deli.

Kosta has a flair for the dramatic and a hearty sense of humor. With a line of people patiently waiting their turns for service, Kosta yelled out sternly: "There is plenty of food for everyone! No fighting!" Then he looked out to his customers and smiled, before getting back to serving-up lunches.

I can't seem to get enough of Kosta's succulent lamb, but I decided to try having it a different way this time. I ordered the souvlaki. Kosta's souvlaki is a simple yet tasty interpretation of the Greek standard: a pita spread with tzakiki wrapped around a piece of stewed lamb with lettuce and chunks of ripe tomato and cucumber. The juices from the lamb dripped out as I was eating, making a mess all over my hands. My only disapointment was with two bites toward the middle that tasted doughy. Perhaps the pita was undercooked.

See also Naan and Beyond.


File under Great food; no atmosphere

No comments: